Oral Drug Delivery Market to 2017 - Out-licensing Proprietary Technologies for Proteins, Peptides and Small Molecules to Drive Revenue Growth
GBI Research, the leading business intelligence provider, has released its latest research "Oral Drug Delivery Market to 2017 - Out-licensing Proprietary Technologies for Proteins, Peptides and Small Molecules to Drive Revenue Growth". The report focuses on the current scenario of orally administered drugs. Key segment of orally administered drugs which are covered in the report include small molecules, proteins, peptides and vaccines. The oral drug delivery market is forecast to show increase in the forecast period (2010-2017) due to increase in demand for innovative oral drugs. The report analyses marketed oral drugs based on molecule type and indication. Pipeline drugs by molecule type are discussed in detail. The report analyses different types of nano-technology which will decide the future of orally administered drugs. Key drug delivery companies are profiled with their proprietary technologies, pipeline molecules and deals. This report is built using data and information sourced from proprietary databases, primary and secondary research and in-house analysis by GBI Research's team of industry experts.
Oral drug delivery is the most preferred route of drug administration. There are many advances in the technologies which are used for controlling the drug release rate and its bioavailability. Oral drug delivery of small molecules is done by various methods and oral drug delivery of peptides, proteins and vaccines pose challenges to pharmaceutical companies. There is a need to develop novel technologies which can be used to deliver a large variety of drugs by oral route. New oral drug delivery technologies improve the efficacy of the drug even when same quantity of drug is taken. By the use of novel technologies, cost of manufacturing decreases and there is decrease in the total cost of therapy to the patient. Thus it is beneficial to both pharmaceutical companies and patients. There is increased interest of pharmaceutical companies in various drug delivery technologies in the last decade. This is due to extension in patent protection of drugs by the introduction of new drug delivery technology. Pharmaceutical companies used different technologies to reformulate their products based on the drug's physical and chemical properties. The benefits of drug reformulation are increased patient compliance, increased efficacy of drug and extension of patent life. These benefits lead to increased market share and reduced manufacturing cost for the pharmaceutical companies.
- Segmentation of marketed oral products by indication for proteins, peptides and small molecules.
- Market forecast to emphasize the increase in oral drug delivery market.
- Oral pipeline molecules by Phase for proteins, peptides, vaccines and small molecules.
- Ten key technologies which are applied to produce Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODTs), key technologies applied for oral delivery pf peptides and proteins.
- Current and future application of nano-technology in drug delivery. Case studies discussing six companies who are leveraging on nanotechnology in drug delivery.
- Profile of ten companies which deal in oral drug delivery market. Their key pipeline molecules are discussed in details. Analysis of proprietary drug delivery technologies of these companies. Key deals of these companies in drug delivery scenario are given.
- Analysis of importance of drug delivery technologies to pharmaceutical companies to maintain there revenue generation.
Reasons to buy
- Decide on the existing market scenario in drug delivery market by knowing marketed oral drugs by indication for proteins, peptides and small molecules.
- Develop key strategic initiatives to position your company in future oral drug delivery market by knowing pipeline molecules by Phase for proteins, peptides vaccines and small molecules.
- Exploit in-licensing and out-licensing opportunities by comparing ten key companies operating in oral drug delivery market by knowing their pipeline molecules, proprietary technologies and deals.
- Knowledge of ten technologies for Orally Disintegrating Tablets (ODTs) which can be used to foray into this lucrative market of oral drug delivery.
- Analysis of key technologies which are used for oral delivery of peptides and proteins.
1 Table of Contents
1 Table of Contents 3
1.1 List of Tables 5
1.2 List of Figures 5
2 Oral Drug Delivery Market - Introduction 6
2.1 GBI Research Report Guidance 6
3 Oral Drug Delivery Market - Overview 7
3.1 Introduction to Oral Drug Delivery 7
3.1.1 Advantages of Oral Drug Delivery in the Pharmaceutical Market 7
3.1.2 Role of Drug Delivery in Repositioning of Existing Drugs by Reformulations 10
3.2 Patent Expiries and their Effect on the Pharmaceutical Industry 12
3.2.1 Patent Expirations of Major Drugs will Lead to a Decline in the Revenue Generated by Big Pharma 13
3.3 Repositioning of Existing Drugs through Reformulations is a Lifecycle Management Strategy 14
3.3.1 Repositioning of Marketed Drugs 14
3.4 Oral Drug Delivery Market Forecast 15
4 Oral Drug Delivery Market - Marketed Oral Products by Indication 16
4.1 Marketed Oral Small Molecules by Therapy Area 16
4.2 Marketed Oral Peptides by Indication 17
4.3 Marketed Oral Proteins by Indication 18
5 Oral Drug Delivery Market - Pipeline Analysis 19
5.1 Oral Small Molecules Pipeline by Phase 19
5.2 Oral Peptide Pipeline by Phase 20
5.3 Oral Proteins Pipeline by Phase 21
5.4 Oral Vaccines Pipeline by Phase 22
6 Oral Drug Delivery Market - Technology Landscape 23
6.1 Orally Disintegrating Tablets 23
6.1.1 Key Patented Technologies for Formulating ODTs 23
6.2 Technologies Used in Oral Delivery of Peptides and Proteins 24
6.2.1 Chemical Modification 24
6.2.2 Enzyme Inhibitors 25
6.2.3 Absorption Enhancement 25
6.2.4 Using Mucoadhesive Polymers 26
6.3 Nanotechnology in Drug Delivery 27
6.3.1 Nano-Engineered Drugs 27
6.3.2 Nano-Carriers 28
6.3.3 Applications of Nano-Enabled Drug Delivery 29
6.3.4 Nanotechnology in Drug Delivery - Case Studies 31
7 The Oral Drug Delivery Market - Company Analysis, Key Pipeline Molecules, Proprietary Technologies and Deals Landscape 33
7.1 Emisphere Technologies Inc. 33
7.1.1 Key Pipeline Products of Emisphere Technologies 33
7.1.2 Proprietary Technology 40
7.1.3 Deals Landscape (2009-2011) 41
7.2 Unigene Laboratories Inc. 42
7.2.1 Key Pipeline Products of Unigene Laboratories 42
7.2.2 Proprietary Technology 46
7.2.3 Deals Landscape (2009-2011) 47
7.3 Aptalis 48
7.3.1 Key Pipeline Products of Aptalis 48
7.3.2 Proprietary Technology 49
7.3.3 Deals Landscape 52
7.4 Encap Drug Delivery 53
7.4.1 Proprietary Technology 53
7.4.2 Deals Landscape 54
7.5 Ethypharm 54
7.5.1 Proprietary Technology 54
7.5.2 Deals Landscape 55
7.6 Alkermes 56
7.6.1 Key Pipeline Products 56
7.6.2 Proprietary Technology 57
7.6.3 Deals Landscape 58
7.7 HalcyGen Pharmaceuticals Limited 59
7.7.1 Key Pipeline Drugs 59
7.7.2 Proprietary Technology 60
7.7.3 Deals Landscape 60
7.8 Aegis Therapeutics 61
7.8.1 Key Pipeline Drugs 61
7.8.2 Proprietary Technology 62
7.9 SkyePharma 62
7.9.1 Key Pipeline Drugs 62
7.9.2 Proprietary Technology 63
7.10 Flamel Technologies 63
7.10.1 Key Pipeline Products 63
7.10.2 Proprietary Technology 64